Rava is an online news portal providing recent news, editorials, opinions and advice on day to day happenings in Pakistan.
Microsoft has been pressing its users to install the latest version of its operating system, Windows 10. But this time it has set a definitive date if they do not want to have to pay for it: December 31, 2017.
As of January 1, those with Windows 7 or 8 will no longer be able to update it for free.
In May of last year, the technology company generated a lot of controversy when it put into practice a “dirty trick” -as described by its critics-that required updating the system without the user’s authorization.
Shortly after deactivated it, and even extended the term of the free download, which in principle ended on July 29, 2016.
Why so much insistence that its users install it?
The program has given several problems since its launch, two years ago: blue screens, unusable cameras or performance failures and wifi connection are just some examples.
However, Microsoft defends that it is a step forward.
“The Windows 10 update is a choice designed to help people take advantage of the safest and most productive Windows ,” said a spokesman for the US company.
Among the new functions of the operating system is the option to see the consumption of the graphics card from the task manager or visual improvements.
In addition, it has five more years of security updates than Windows 7.
“Please take advantage of this offer before it runs out on December 31, 2017,”reads the Microsoft website.
But that is not all. Those who decide not to update their computer will no longer receive official support from the company.
This means that your equipment will stop notifying when there are errors and the malfunctions will not be solved.
For now, Windows 7 continues to be the most widely used Microsoft operating system in the world, with more than 47%. The second most used is Windows 10. At the moment, it barely reaches 30%.
How to install Windows 10?
- Update your entire system (either Windows 7 or Windows 8). To check if it is updated, access the control panel and select the “System and security” option. Then, click on “Windows Update” and install all the updates.
- In your taskbar, you will see an option to obtain Windows 10. You can request it from that same window.
- Windows will inform you of the download progress (the file weighs about 3 gb). You can carry out the installation at that time or postpone it.
- Once the installation offer is accepted, you accept the license agreement and wait for Windows to make a revision.
- The installation process takes between 20 minutes and one hour.
- If you have Windows 8, you will not lose your files or your applications, but it is always convenient to copy them to avoid risks.