‘Brain-eating’ amoeba claims its first victim of the year in Sindh

‘Brain-eating’ amoeba claims its first victim of the year in Sindh

0

KARACHI: As it was feared with the advent of the current scorching summer heat, the ‘brain-eating’ amoeba, technically called ‘Naegleria fowleri’, claimed its first victim of the year in Sindh, officials in the provincial health ministry confirmed on Tuesday.

Officials said a 40-year-old man, identified as Pervez Ahmed, died of the fatal disease at a hospital.

“The first death of the year due to Naegleria fowleri was a 40-year-old man of Gulistan-i-Jauhar,” said a senior official in the health ministry.

The victim was admitted in the ICU (intensive care unit) of a private hospital where he died on Sunday. The cause of death was confirmed on Tuesday, stated the official.

Last year, six people reportedly died of the lethal amoeba.

About author
Profile photo of Urooj Fatima

Urooj Fatima

A self-motivated & result oriented individual whose modus operandi is to weave elements of success together & forge ahead in all spheres of life.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *