KARACHI: As it was feared with the advent of the current scorching summer heat, the ‘brain-eating’ amoeba, technically called ‘Naegleria fowleri’, claimed its first victim of the year in Sindh, officials in the provincial health ministry confirmed on Tuesday.
Officials said a 40-year-old man, identified as Pervez Ahmed, died of the fatal disease at a hospital.
“The first death of the year due to Naegleria fowleri was a 40-year-old man of Gulistan-i-Jauhar,” said a senior official in the health ministry.
The victim was admitted in the ICU (intensive care unit) of a private hospital where he died on Sunday. The cause of death was confirmed on Tuesday, stated the official.
Last year, six people reportedly died of the lethal amoeba.