Every day is an opportunity to celebrate Kate Middleton, be it for her otherworldly charm, gorgeous hair or the ability to make brooches look fierce.
January 9, however, was an official occasion to fete Kate: her 36th birthday. To mark the occasion, here are five things – as compiled from Vogue– that you may not have known about the Duchess of Cambridge.
1) Kate was destined to become an international superstar. Between the ages of 2 and 4, she and parents Carole and Michael Middleton lived in Amman, Jordan. Michael was a manager at British Airways then and Carole, formerly a flight attendant, on extended maternity leave.
Kate Middleton is reportedly expecting twins!
2) Before Kate began university at St. Andrews, where she actually met Prince William, she did a gap year in Florence to study Renaissance culture, and also went on a charity trip to Chile.
3) Kate admits she always had a crush on Prince William, reportedly hanging a picture of him on her bedroom wall too. In Andrew Morton’s William & Catherine: Their Story, her friend Jessica Hay shared details of their conversations.
“We would sit around talking about all the boys at school we fancied but Catherine would always say, ‘I don’t like any of them. They’re all a bit rough.’ Then she would joke, ‘There’s no one quite like Prince William.’ ”
Nonetheless, Kate did have a high school boyfriend: journalist Willem Marx. And pre-William, she also dated law student named Rupert Finch. Guess she too had to kiss many frogs to find her prince!
4) Kate’s signature scent is Jo Malone Orange Blossom. It was upon her request that the candles burned in Westminster Abbey (beneath maple trees that had also been hauled in) on her wedding day gave off that scent.
But it wasn’t the only special aroma of the day: As a nod to her future husband, Kate carried the flower Sweet William in her bouquet too. Talk about romantic…
5) The Royal is a keen photographer. She snapped the first official photo of Princess Charlotte (then a baby in the lap of brother Prince George) at their Norfolk country house, Anmer Hall, as well as the photos of Prince George attending his first day of preschool, not to mention Charlotte’s most recent first-day-of-school.
Kate also took photos for her parents’ British party-planning chain, Party Pieces. Fingers crossed that she starts her own Instagram this year!