LOS ANGELES: Los Angeles prosecutors said on Wednesday that their sex crimes team was reviewing a case against Rocky actor Sylvester Stallone.
The case involves a woman who reported last November that the 71-year-old actor, best known for his roles in the “Rocky” and “Rambo” movies, had assaulted her in 1990.
Los Angeles District Attorney’s office spokesman Greg Risling did not give details but said the case was presented by police in the California beach city of Santa Monica.
Representatives for Stallone, 71, did not immediately return a call for comment on Wednesday.
In December, Stallone’s attorney Martin Singer said that a woman had “filed a police report alleging a rape that occurred 27 years ago.”
“A case was presented today by the Santa Monica Police Department regarding Sylvester Stallone,” Greg Risling, a spokesman at the Los Angeles District Attorney’s office, told AFP.
“It is under review by our sex crime task force.”
Santa Monica police said in December they were investigating a complaint that was made in November 2017 of alleged sexual misconduct in the 1990s by the actor.
The allegation against the star comes in the wake of the #MeToo movement that has focused attention on sexual harassment in Hollywood and beyond.
The attorney said at the time that he planned to submit a claim against the woman for filing a false police report.
The #MeToo campaign took off last year following sexual assault allegations against Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein. It has since become a worldwide phenomenon.
Hundreds of celebrities and powerful people, including actor Kevin Spacey and longtime broadcast journalist Charlie Rose, have been accused of sexual harassment in the wake of the Weinstein scandal.
Stallone skyrocketed to fame in 1976 with his Oscar-winning boxing movie Rocky and went on to become one of Hollywood’s biggest action stars through the Rambo and Rocky film franchises.
California has a complex statute of limitations for criminal prosecutions of sexual abuse but offenses must generally be prosecuted within 10 years.
Hollywood has been roiled in the past eight months by accusations of sexual assault against dozens of actors, directors and film-makers, leading to many major figures being forced to step down or dropped from creative projects.
Producer Harvey Weinstein was charged in New York with rape and sexual assault last month. He entered a not guilty plea.
Comedian Bill Cosby was convicted in April of drugging and sexually assaulting a woman in 2004.