Rava is an online news portal providing recent news, editorials, opinions and advice on day to day happenings in Pakistan.
ISLAMABAD: A meeting will be held in the Supreme Court today (Wednesday) to discuss population control. Pakistan’s population is growing at an alarming rate and if measures are not taken it will double in 30 years.
The meeting will be attended by Chief Justice of Pakistan Justice Mian Saqib Nisar, Prime Minister Imran Khan and all four provincial chief ministers.
During his visit to London, Justice Nisar had said he would kick-start a campaign in December to raise awareness about the importance of population control.
The CJP had taken suo moto notice of a human rights case in the matter regarding the alarming population growth rate in the country. The apex court had constituted a task force to formulate a mechanism to curb population growth in the country.
Recommendations of population growth
- Establish national and provincial task forces for steering, providing oversight and taking critical decisions to reduce population growth, low fertility rate and increase contraceptive prevalence rate.
- Ensure universal access to FP/RH services.
- Federal government to create a five-year non-lapsable special fund for reducing population growth rate with an annual allocation of Rs10 billion. The fund shall be set up exclusively from federal resources without any cut from provincial funds.
- To introduce and implement legislation for population growth control,
- To advocate and communicate a national narrative of reducing population growth rate and achieve socio-economic wellbeing for all.
- Introduce curriculum on health, hygiene and population control in the primary, secondary, college and universities.
- Contraceptive commodity security.
- Joint declaration of Ulema made at Population Summit-2015, Islamabad to be widely advocated.