Medical Board Fails To Examine Tortured 8th Grader

Published on November 22, 2016 by Admin1

A medical board consisting of 10 members organized by the Sindh health department, to carry out a thorough examination of the health of a class VIII student, of the Cadet College, Larkana, who was allegedly tortured by a teacher, has  deferred its first meeting on the case.

Muhammad Ahmed Hussain – the 8th Grader at Cadet College Larkana – was handed over to his parents in an unconscious state, badly beaten, on the 10th of August. The father of the boy, accused the school principal and a house master for torturing young Ahmed so severely, that he fell unconscious and lost his senses, being bedridden and mute.

The special medical board formed by the Sindh health department, was headed by Civil Hospital Karachi’s neurosurgeon Junaid Ashraf. The board was supposed to meet at 11:30 am on Monday to examine Ahmed at the medical ICU of the Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre, however, due to the unavailability of the board chairman Ashraf and another member, Dr. Umar Farooq, the medical board ended up calling the meeting off.

According to the health department notification, the National Institute of Child Health’s director, Dr. Jamal Raza, would be the convener of the board with Dr Umer Farooq, ENT surgeon, CHK; Prof Lal Rehman, neurosurgeon, JPMC; Dr Muhammad Usman, ENT surgeon, JPMC; Dr Iqbal Ahmed Moghira and Dr Prem Chand of the Aga Khan University Hospital; Dr Jalil Qadir, director, CB Lab; Prof Muhammad Hasan Shaikh and Dr Alam Ibrahim Siddiqui of the Shaheed Benazir Bhutto Medical University, Larkana, as its members.

Furthermore, according to the terms of reference, the board would examine the condition of Ahmed and would supply for its treatment, either in the country or abroad. The board would also determine the possible cause of the injuries, for which the report will be submit the same day.

Ahmed’s father, Muhammad Rashid Mashori stressed that the board must examine his son and take the decision immediately, so that his treatment could start immediately. “My child has been suffering serious pain since August 10 – the day he was allegedly tortured by the college staff and we cannot further delay his treatment,” said Mashori.


Add your comment

Your email address will not be published.