First celebrated in 1911, International Women’s Day has grown into a global event that is celebrated on March 8th every year as a special day for women.
It is a day for raising awareness about the ongoing struggles for gender equality, for celebrating the achievements of women, and for advocating for the rights and empowerment of women and girls.
International Women’s Day, which emerged from the labor movement to become a significant annual event, is celebrated in the memory of the resolute 15,000 women who in 1908 marched through New York demanding shorter working hours, better pay, and the voting rights.
The day is a call to action to challenge and change the systemic inequalities that women and girls face every day, including gender-based violence, unequal access to education and healthcare, discrimination at the workplace, and unequal pay.
It is an opportunity to celebrate the progress that has been made towards gender parity, but also to recognize the work that still needs to be done to achieve true gender equality.
Some Insightful Quotes on the Women’s Day
- “If you don’t like being a doormat then get off the floor.” ~ Al Anon
- “A lot of people are afraid to say what they want. That’s why they don’t get what they want.” ~ Madonna
- “A woman is like a tea bag – you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.” ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
- “What we women need to do, instead of worrying about what we don’t have is just love what we do have.” ~ Cameron Diaz
- “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” ~ Maya Angelou
- “A woman is the full circle. Within her is the power to create, nurture and transform.” ~ Diane Mariechild
- “The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” ~ Ayn Rand
- “The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.” ~ Alice Walker
- “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.” ~ Helen Keller
- “We realize the importance of our voices only when we are silenced.” ~ Malala Yousafzai
- “Always go with the choice that scares you the most, because that’s the one that is going to require the most from you.” ~ Caroline Myss
- “One of the most courageous things you can do is identify yourself, know who you are, what you believe in and where you want to go.” ~ Sheila Murray Bethel
- “It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends.” ~ J. K. Rowling
- “I wonder what becomes of lost opportunities? Perhaps our guardian angel gathers them up as we drop them, and will give them back to us in the beautiful sometime when we have grown wiser, and learned how to use them rightly.” ~ Helen Keller
- Learn from the mistakes of others. You can’t live long enough to make them all yourself. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
- “A woman with a voice is by definition a strong woman. But the search to find that voice can be remarkably difficult.” ~ Melinda Gates
- “Feminism isn’t about making women strong. Women are already strong. It’s about changing the way the world perceives that strength.” ~ G.D. Anderson
- “Each time a woman stands up for herself, without knowing it possibly, without claiming it, she stands up for all women.” ~ Maya Angelou
- “You don’t have to play masculine to be a strong woman.” ~ Mary Elizabeth Winstead
- “If you don’t see a clear path for what you want, sometimes you have to make it yourself.” ~ Mindy Kaling
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *